Friday, August 11, 2017

Feels like the first tiiiime....



Today has been the first time in two weeks I've been able to sit down with my pods and my knitting. Last month I went to CA to visit family and was there for a week, then came home to lots of catching up with life.

I have too many shows to catch up on to fit all into one post... and I'm still working out how I want this all to work...so I'm going to break down all the episodes I want to post about into categories and then maybe by next week I'll be caught up and can get to a weekly post rundown on all my favorite episodes of the week.

The craft I am working on while listening to my pods today is my
Ten Stitch Blanket. This is my go to knit blanket pattern. It's easy mindless knitting that I can do without having to really even look at it anymore. This is my fourth Ten Stitch. I'm using some worsted acrylic I got on sale online at Michaels six months ago.. I don't even remember the name of it. I just liked the color.


This first post I'm going to break down my highs and lows and feelings about all my "Mommy Podcasts". I follow a few pods about parenting and motherhood and while I don't really dig the self-helpy aspect of a lot of these type of shows... the ones that I follow are more humor and reality than self help.

My favorite parenting/motherhood pods are One Bad Mother and For Crying Out Loud. I recently added a third show called Cold Coffee...but I'm on the fence about if I'm going to stay a subscriber. I'll get into the why's on that later.


First up for discussion is For Crying Out Loud... this show is usually either great and really funny or I'm bored out of my mind. When I first started listening to the show I was really turned off by Lynn Carollas voice. It's very nasally and can be pretty obnoxious... the more I listened the less I heard her voice and the more I heard how funny the two of the hosts are. The two episodes I listened to today were from July 28th Trolling Classic Childrens Books and August 1st It's Not Easy.

The first episode was one of the ones that just fell flat for me. Stephanie brings some "funny" bad reviews of childrens books and the ladies basically just bitch about people bitching on the internet. Meh. I mean, some of it was funny but for sure it wasn't really something that I wanted to listen to for an hour. I skipped through a lot to see if they moved on to a new topic and they didn't really...

The second episode It's Not Easy was much better. Stephanie and Lynn shared some really personal stuff about their experiences with mental illness in their families. Lynn shares about her mother and Stephanie talks about her biological father. It wasn't the funny parenting stories that we usually get but I'm glad that I listened.


One Bad Mother is my favorite parenting pod. The two hosts Biz and Theresa feel like friends, and I joined their Facebook community (and about a million sub groups lol) and I've made a lot of really genuine good friends. The core message of this show is that we are all doing a really good job. Parenting is hard and we are getting really good at this

The episode I listened to today was episode #215 Why Am I Supposed to Like That?
I love listening to the ladies talking about parenting in a really honest way. Theresa talking about being away with her kids on vacation and how un-vacation like it feels...and how happy and relaxed she was to not have her older kids with her at a baseball game.
Biz talking about splashing her kid in the face after the kid splashed her… it affirms to me that I’m not a terrible mother. Like, I don’t even have to listen to the rest of the episode at this point (but I will) because I got what I need from that one story. 

This is what I love about this pod. It’s truth and F-Bombs and there is no “this is how you should be doing it” crap from these hosts. I truly love this show.

P.S. If Theresa ever reads this... I feel you on the Sparklers. 


Third parenting podcast to talk about is Cold Coffee. I picked this up a couple weeks ago with their first episode. I follow one of the hosts Tova Leigh on Facebook and she is really funny and relatable in her video posts. 
Unfortunately I'm just not feeling like the pod lives up to what my expectation of how it was going to be. The hosts are both nice, but it feels kinda fakey to me. This episode I listened to today was about body image. It started out a good message...but then kind of broke down into one of the hosts talking about how terrible she felt at size 12 and it felt kind of counter productive to the point of the episode.... then they totally lost me when that host started talking about her first pregnancy she only gained 19lbs and totally bounced back...but then "gave up" with her second pregnancy and ate guacamole. Yuck. I don't like the food shaming, the fat shaming or the general "It's totally ok for other people to be a size 12...but not for me" attitude. I don't think I'll keep listening to this one. 
It's an unsubscribe for me. I'll definitely keep watching Tova Leigh and her videos though and if she does a pod on her own or  without this co-host I'll totally give it a shot. 
There are too many pods out there to force myself to listen to one that doesn't do it for me. 

I'll have another post tomorrow with my favorite True Crime shows so stay tuned! 

Here's my ending progress on my Ten Stitch for today...













No comments:

Post a Comment

Feels like the first tiiiime....

Today has been the first time in two weeks I've been able to sit down with my pods and my knitting. Last month I went to CA to visit f...